Membership applications are now being accepted to join Alpha Kappa Delta, the International Sociology Honor Society. If you meet the below qualifications, we encourage you to apply to join over 120,000 Sociologists who have been initiated into AKD. Individuals who apply will be reviewed by the department faculty and recommended for membership if qualifications are met.
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT ELIGIBILITY:
If you have officially declared Sociology as a major or have a serious interest in sociology, have an overall GPA of 3.3 or above, have completed four Sociology courses, and you are a Junior or Senior, you automatically qualify and are welcomed to apply.
GRADUATE STUDENT ELIGIBILITY:
As a graduate student, you must have completed one half year of graduate study in Sociology with a graduate GPA of B or better.
WHY BECOME A MEMBER?
- You will become part of a 98-year-old tradition of recognizing outstanding Sociology students.
- You can reference your membership in resumes and in applications for graduate and professional school.
- You will be eligible to wear the AKD Honor Cord with your cap and gown at graduation.
- You will receive a one-year subscription to the journal of Sociological Focus.
- You will receive a certificate of membership suitable for framing, membership card, access to AKD website services, and more
- Members meet one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level in federal employment
Applications can be picked up in the Department of Sociology main office (Mather Memorial 226) and are due by March 23, 2018.